Tuesday, June 9, 2009

Today

So, this morning I actually paid attention to what I was thinking when I woke up... “I wish that damn cat would stop licking my face!” Seriously, Mikey (my cat) drives me nuts at feeding time! Who needs an alarm clock when you live with the most highly food-motivated being on the planet!

But after I fed the cat and put the coffee on I went to the bathroom and looked in the mirror. There it was ... a big mop of shaggy hair that I haven’t cut since Christmas. I have had what is basically a military cut now for the better part of 15 years; lots of my friends here don’t even know me with longer hair until now. That is when it hit me... finally, after all this time and I can finally feel the wind blow my hair around again and now I am probably going to have to shave it all off. How’s that for shallow? I am potentially facing serious balance, hearing and facial control issues and I am worried about my hair.... seriously, what am I... 15?!?!?! Well, as I would say to anyone who gave me that shallow attitude, I looked in the mirror and said, “Suck it up princess, most people with brain tumors would give up their hair in a second to get rid of it!”

I have a friend who is right now going through a breast cancer scare (here I go with the breasts again) and she could use some of your positive energy. And do you know what is great about positive energy (and I am almost sure that one of you engineers is going to correct me)... it doesn’t run out. You don’t need to refocus positive energy, you just need to let it out there and everyone around you will pick it up. I told her that she doesn’t have cancer, she is just getting a wakeup call from the universe to start living the life she is meant to and wants to live. Next summer when my balance is fixed, and her breasts are fixed (now I am sure that is coming out wrong because there is nothing wrong with her breasts... and now I know that THAT came out wrong) we will be going out for a motorcycle ride.

Another friend of mine sent me an absolutely inspiring poem today, one which I would love to take credit for, but, well, that would just be dishonest, but whoever wrote it... they hit the nail on the head.

Today

Today, I will delete from my journal two days: yesterday and tomorrow

Yesterday was to learn from and tomorrow...well that will be the consequence
of what I can’t do today.

Today, I will face life with the sure knowledge that this day will never return.

Today, is the last opportunity I have to live intensely, as no one can assure me that I will see tomorrow's sunrise.

Today, I will be brave enough not to let any opportunity pass me by, my only alternative is to succeed.

Today, I will invest my most valuable resource: my time in the most transcendental work: my life...

Today, I will spend each minute passionately, to make today a different and unique day in my life.

Today, I will defy every obstacle that appears on my way, trusting I will succeed.

Today, I will resist pessimism, and will conquer the world with a smile and a positive attitude of always expecting the best.

Today, I will make of every ordinary task a sublime expression,

Today, I will have my feet on the ground understanding reality and the stars' gaze, and thus will invent my future.

Today, I will take the time to be happy and will leave my footprints and my presence in the hearts of others, not just in the sands of time.

Today, I invite you to begin a new season where we can dream that everything we undertake is possible and we fulfill that dream, with joy and dignity.

Today, why not perform a random act of kindness...?

And, if there are those that you love, tell them, you don't know when it might be your last opportunity. Tell them, as I have just done...today


From Achmed and Me... Live Life!

No comments:

Post a Comment