Thursday, June 25, 2009

A Schedule to Plan Things Around

Sometimes when you can’t plan the things you want, or you can't just automatically say yes to an opportunity that you want to be part of, you can start to feel like you are under a mild form of house arrest. There are lots of reasons other than medical that can elicit these feelings.

For the past few weeks I have been living with my life on hold. Not to say I have been lying on the couch, (although I have spent the occasional date with a couch, and once in a while there is nothing wrong with it) but I have not been unable to plan anything outside of a weekend because the only thing that I really knew about dealing with Achmed was the treatment options and the preparation. I knew things were going to take a couple of months, but on the specific days that I had to have my little buddy at the clinic, or bring him in to visit the Marines, I couldn’t really be on vacation up in the Rockies or out in the middle of nowhere in a canoe.

Those of you who know me can attest, I am a bit restless and value my freedom more than anything. I can deal with schedules no problem, I do for work, hockey and actually lots of things... but scheduling around a schedule that has no known schedule proved to be a bit of a challenge. It left me kind of between depressed and erratically spontaneous. I played with the idea of getting on the cancellation list to get my MRI faster only to find that this particular scenario left me in a bigger limbo of not knowing than if I had a firm date. Toady all my uncertainty for the summer kind of got put to bed.

My MRI is scheduled for July 23. I am going to Halifax to see KISS on July 17 to 20. Being on the cancellation list puts my trip to see the Greatest Band in The World in jeopardy, and I have been told by numerous of you that putting my health treatment on hold to see a concert is about as crazy as chasing jalapeños with tequila on an empty stomach. (Someone could only come up with that analogy if they had actually experienced it... that story is for another day)

Today I had a chat with my head-man’s (General Batten, not to be confused with General Patten) receptionist and she told me he is taking vacation in August and the earliest I could get back in to see him was August 31st! (Since when have doctors been allowed taking time off from the ailing public?) Well, apparently he needs some time off to spend with his family and luckily for him, I am going to allow it because I need to see KISS anyway, so an earlier MRI would be both inconvenient for me and useless for him, since he will be chillin’ on some beach somewhere, chasing jalapeños with tequila, as the picture of my brain and Achmed shows up on his desk

There is still the issue of the U2 concert in September to worry about, but for now I can kind of get on with my life as if all was normal and do the things I was going to do this summer anyway. Having a schedule doesn’t really fix the thought in my head that there is a new little man in my head, however, it does make it easier to live my life knowing that things are moving forward and I haven’t just become a misplaced file in the medical system... it is also nice to know that the minor "house arrest" issue has been temporarily dealt with.

Meanwhile, I am heading out to the cabin for a barn-raising this weekend, so if anyone is bored Saturday... Achmed can only do so much...

From Achmed and Me... Live Life!

No comments:

Post a Comment