Friday, June 12, 2009

Is a bad day really a bad day?

As the saying goes, “a bad day on the golf course beats a good day at the office.”

Today I had to play in a golf tournament (yes, I know, I have a very difficult job) and I can honestly say that it was the absolutely worst weather that I have ever had to chase that little white ball down a grassy field. Notice that I say “worst weather” not worst day, which is what I was thinking at 6:30 this morning on my way to the course.

It was raining, it was cold and if you have ever spent more than a few days on the east coast of Newfoundland, you will know that rain doesn’t really fall here… no the term ‘rain down’ doesn’t really apply because it ‘rains across’ making umbrellas just something else to carry rather than a protective shield from the elements. And when I say cold, I mean bordering on Winnipeg cold and it is mid-June!

The four of us were bitching and complaining about being there in the bad weather and saying that we must be fools to be out in this instead of being in a nice warm office (now, when have you ever heard golfers say they would rather be at work?) Actually, the grass was so wet that at one point I fell off the green while lining up a put… as I was backing up to look at my putting line I slipped on a mud spot and slid down the bank. It’s ok, you can laugh… everyone else did. Now that I think of it, maybe I do have a balance issue after all.

While at the mid-way house getting a coffee and huddled around the BBQ for some heat, the lady working there said how awful it was out and how terrible the weather was and how terrible a day it is and it is just not fair to have to deal with this… etc. And although a couple of hours earlier I had been in perfect mental sync with her thoughts, I said, “you know, any day on this side of the dirt and being able to do what you want is a pretty good day.” She looked up at me and smiled, then I told her, “besides, you have a heater in there what are you whining about,” and I winked are her and grinned.

“You’re absolutely right my luv! I don’t know what I was thinking.” Around here ‘my luv’ is a term of affection for everyone, she wasn’t hitting on me or anything… at least I don’t think so… she could have been my mother.

Anyway, when I hit the mid-way shack again on my way back, she was having that exact same conversation with another gentleman, but she was telling him we have it pretty good, after he complained about the bad weather. This whole exchange has really made me think about what it is that we complain about and how trivial a lot of it is.

So tonight I will enjoy the fact that I can watch GAME SEVEN! As anyone who knows me will tell you, I will be glued to a TV somewhere lifting a couple of pints with a few of the lads and watching, what I expect to be, a great ending to what has been a great playoffs... yes, the Hockey Ones! So what is the point of worrying about the weather anyway… it’s not like I have a TV in the backyard.

Here’s to being on this side of the dirt, and taking advantage of it!

From Achmed and Me… Live Life!

No comments:

Post a Comment