Thursday, August 20, 2009

Just In Case a Tumor is Not Enough

I am rarely at a loss for words, in fact there are many times when I rant on about a subject that I am interested in for far longer that I probably should. Today was not one of those times.

As I was on my way back to the office from a social lunch (which in itself is a bit of a rarity for me) my phone rang, it was Dad. Dad doesn’t call me in the middle of the day very often, unless he needs my help with something or has some kind of question related to the business world.

I should have been tipped off by the fact that he said he would call me back later when I told him I was driving; Dad is not one to deliver shocking news unless he knows you are already sitting down. We had a brief discussion and he told me that a guy I grew up with was shot and killed in the line of duty with the Tampa Police Department.

Cpl. Mike Roberts was one of dozens of guys that hung out in my general group of friends while I learning about the world and I remember that he had a great sense of humour. I haven’t seen him since University and interestingly enough, not all that long ago I wondered what ever happened to him and his brother, I heard that they had moved back to Florida, but I never stayed in touch with either one of them.

Mike was shot in the chest last night, by a suspect on what seemingly was a routine inquiry. He had a wife and a three-year-old son and had only been promoted to Corporal last month and was on track to become a Detective. By all accounts he was a happy family man who still played hockey and had a successful career. A lot of people would probably say he was living the dream.

To say I was speechless because I was in mourning would probably not really be accurate. I was shocked that a life of someone in their prime could so easily be snuffed out for an arbitrary reason. (By the way, there is a suspect in custody and two eye witnesses of the account). The fact that I knew him just seemed to drive it home a little further.

I have spent the last 3 days complaining of a headache that is keeping me awake and making it hard to concentrate on work, or anything else. I guess I was speechless because I was really being so petty in my problems and realizing that having a brain tumour is not the end of the world... not compared to a bullet anyway.

RIP Mike... and the rest of us, remember to enjoy life and don't sweat the small stuff.

From Achmed and Me... Live Life!

No comments:

Post a Comment