Saturday, August 8, 2009

Achmed's First Funeral

I have been surrounded by a lot of death in my lifetime and I have been to way too many funerals. When you are from such a huge family, and are among the younger ones, that is just a fact of life.

In recent years though, I have been attending more funerals for the parents of my friends. It seems that when you hit this vintage in life, the people you looked up to as a child start checking-out and leaving the world to us... I hope that we don’t all let them down.

Earlier this week I brought Achmed to his first funeral... or at least the first one that I knew I was bringing him to. My friend’s father lost his battle with lung cancer and headed up to the big sailboat in the sky. I didn’t know him very well, in fact, I don’t think that he even remembered my name when I saw him, but he seemed like a pretty nice chap. It is possible that he didn’t like me now that I think about it. He took me out sailing once and I left black scuff marks on the deck of his boat, from my hiking boots... I never got invited back, so that could be a sign.

Anyway, my buddy’s father was a retired teacher and seemed to have a lot of friends, or at least judging by the crowd in the chapel, and was probably one of the first ones in his group to check-out. The thing that struck me the most about the service was that almost everyone there had grey hair.

My parents always taught me that you go to funerals and wakes to support the people left behind, not necessarily because you knew the deceased. I was actually amazed at the lack of ‘friend support’ that showed up that day and it got me to thinking about friendships in general. I always seem to think about deep things at funerals; actually one of my favourite places to go and ponder life is in a graveyard. I know that sounds strange, but nobody ever bothers you when you are sitting in a graveyard, other than a friendly and possibly sympathetic nod.

This week was also The Royal St. John’s Regatta week here, and according to Jack Layton, leader of the National NDP party, it is the greatest community event in Canada. Personally, I have always thought that The Calgary Stampede was the greatest community event in Canada; perhaps Jack has never been to it. Anyway, I didn’t bring Achmed to the Regatta, primarily because I never go, so why change things to that regard now? What I did do was hop on my bike and went visiting for the day, which was more enjoyable for me.

The Regatta, whether I like it or not is irrelevant, is ultimately a celebration of life. 191 years ago, when it started, it was a mid-summer break for all the fishermen from all the surrounding communities to compete against each other to see who the fastest rowers were. It is a highly attended event and the people who go love it, plus it is a holiday in the middle of the week, so it can’t be a bad thing. On a smaller scale, it is actually not all that different from The Stampede... just fishermen instead of cowboys and boats instead of horses.

So in one week, and within a couple of days of each other, Achmed was around for a celebration of a past life and a celebration of life in general... and it has been hot and sunny to boot! If it wasn’t for the constant roaring in my head and the on again / off again headache that has been plaguing me for a few weeks now, I would say it has been a pretty good week.

This afternoon Achmed goes on his first 'date'... it should be interesting!

From Achmed and Me... Live Life!

No comments:

Post a Comment