Sunday, August 9, 2009

Dating With a Brain Tumor

One thing that I never really thought about until very recently is, when I meet someone new in the dating area, when is a good time to tell them about Achmed? It is kind of an awkward subject to bring up with a stranger and it is certainly not something I want to define me for the rest of my life.

Saturday afternoon I went on a date with a girl from Vancouver named Sarah Rowland. Normally I would not use her name here, but for those of you, who don’t know, she is the girl, well lady actually, who set out across Canada to have 70 dates in 70 days and she is writing a blog and column about it... http://indiegirl.lavalife.com/... she is a good writer and a cool chick, you can look her up here. She never actually made her 70 goal as she started to seek quality dates instead of a number... I was number 43, the grande-finale. I figure that she left the most hopeless for last...lol.

Well, the ‘date’ with Sarah was not a typical date, I never met her at the supermarket, or a bar, or online... I heard about her quest and figured that I should meet her, I mean seriously, if what she was doing was not embracing life and taking control of her destiny, what is? Sarah is on a quest (or manhunt as I refer to it with her) to find ‘The One’. To be fair, I emailed her in advance of meeting her to let her know that I am very likely not ‘The One’, as I seem to have severe commitment issues, but I would love to meet her anyway.

We had coffee, chatted about her trip and Achmed and hit the coastal highway and went for lunch. Good conversation and company, and finally there was a day of rain which I could have been writing more of the Halifax story and I was out on a date... oh well, you have to live life.

Sarah already knew I had a little friend that comes everywhere with me and she was really interested in hearing about how I was dealing with it, but as a rule, whenever I meet someone new it is not really the first thing I bring up. Well, I haven’t really met anyone new in a while, but I figure when I do, how do I bring it up? “Hi, I am Kevin, I have a good job, play guitar, ride a motorcycle and have a little buddy in my head named Achmed.” If someone came up to me and said that, I would probably run... very fast!

It really is kind of an awkward topic to bring up, although probably not as awkward as sticking both feet in my mouth, one right after another, in the same conversation. The other night I was out for a drink with a friend of mine and ran into a couple of girls I knew from the old days. I hadn’t seen either one of them in close to 20 years. Anyway, chatting with one of them, I asked something about her husband... well, he died a few years ago... I felt like an idiot, passed along my condolences and changed the subject. I asked about her father... she started to laugh (in the sympathetic way as if to think, ‘oh you poor dumbass’) and said, “Actually, he passed away recently as well, but don’t worry you are not going to die just because you are sitting next to me.” I didn’t have the heart to tell her about Achmed, for all I know a brain tumor could have been the culprit for one of her mourning’s.

I seem to stumble into awkward conversations a lot lately.

From Achmed and Me... Live Life!

2 comments:

  1. Kevin Pomroy:

    Hello there. First heard of your story through
    Sarah Rowland. (her blog, I think) I don't
    know her personally.

    So... how are you feeling today?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Most prostate cancers are adenocarcinomas, cancers that arise in glandular cells of the prostate’s epithelial tissue. Prostate cancers usually progress slowly and produce no symptoms in the initial stages. Eventually, the tumor may enlarge like mine use too, the prostate gland, pressing on the urethra and causing painful or frequent urination and blood in the urine. So I was so uncomfortable with this prostate cancer diseases then I decided to do online search on how to cure cancer because I well have read a lot about herbal medicine, I came across a lot of testimony how Dr Itua cure HIV/herpes then Cancer was listed below the comment.with courage I contacted Dr Itua and he sent me his herbal medicine through Courier service then I was asked to pick it up at my post office which i quickly did. I contacted Dr Itua that i have received my herbal medicine so he instructs me on how to drink it for three weeks and that is how Dr Itua Herbal Medicine cure my prostate Cancer, The treatment takes three weeks and I was cured completely. Dr Itua is a god sent and I thank him every day of my life. Contact him now On:Email:drituaherbalcenter@gmail.com/ Whatsapp:+2348149277967.
    He listed to that he can as well cure the following diseases below.... Cerebral Amides. Lung Cancer, Alzheimer's disease,Autism,measles, tetanus, whooping cough, tuberculosis, polio and diphtheria Adrenocortical carcinoma. Alma, Uterine Cancer, Breast Cancer, Allergic diseases. Kidney cancer, Love Spell, Glaucoma., Cataracts,Macular degeneration,Cardiovascular disease,Lung disease.Enlarged prostate,Osteoporosis.Alzheimer's disease,Brain Tumor,
    Dementia.Colo rectal cancer, Lottery Spell, Bladder Cancer, Skin Cancer,Ovarian Cancer,Pancreatic Cancer, HIV /Aids,Brain Tumor, Herpes, Non-Hodgkin lymphoma, Inflammatory bowel disease, Copd, Diabetes, Hepatitis

    ReplyDelete