Monday, July 6, 2009

My New Talent

My job has a lot of sitting at a desk and constant communications to people for one project or another and since the weather has gotten nicer out, I have gotten into the habit of not really spending too much time at my computer during the weekend, other than checking my email once or twice. For someone who is absolutely tied to technology and communication for my job, I have an amazingly low infiltration of it in my personal life... I don’t even have a phone line in my house... granted, the one in my pocket seems to be always either ringing or buzzing. That is probably one of the reasons I like being out on my bike so much, I always turn my phone off... not because I don’t want to talk to you, more because I am afraid if my hip starts to vibrate I may panic and drive into a pole or something!

Anyway, as far as communications goes, this was a very interesting weekend for Achmed and Me. On Friday night I went to a fundraiser for a guy who grew up in the same vintage time-frame as I did. I don’t know him well, but he seems like a decent fella and has a $6000 a month drug habit to support. Ok, that doesn’t sound right, he has cancer and his drugs cost $6000 a month... drugs which are not covered by the healthcare program in New Brunswick, where he lives. (On a completely unrelated note to my point, his friends raised almost $60,000 to help his fight against cancer Friday night, www.andrewsfight.com you can donate here if you are feeling generous). So, at this fundraiser I ran into dozens of people who I haven’t seen since university or high school and I kind of realized what a terrible person I actually am at staying in touch with people. This city is not all that big, and one would think if all of us are living so close to each other, how come we never see each other? Maybe we don’t want to, or maybe we get too caught up in life and just start missing out on living. Whatever the reason is, I ended up not getting home until 4:00 in the morning because I was hanging out with groups of people who I may go another 20 years without seeing. I had actually planned on going home at 10 or 11 o’clock and getting a good night sleep... but really, who am I kidding... it was Friday and there were bands and lots of lost and forgotten buddies... and what was I going to go home to... my cat? I opted on staying out!

Saturday morning, (well actually it was closer to Saturday afternoon) I hauled my tired carcass out of the rack and hit the road to go visiting. Well, I ate a pile of grub and drank a gallon of coffee then I hit the road. I popped in to a few places and visited a few of my buddies, not for any particular reason, just because that is what you should do every now and then to your friends. Then Saturday night a few of us had what is supposed to be a poker game every 3 or 4 months, but what I am pretty sure has taken more then two years to put together. (See, it is not just me who sucks at staying in touch with people.) Well, that led to another 4:00 night. So Sunday morning I am lying in my bed with Mikey licking my face (for those of you who have not been following, Mikey is my CAT!), and I think, as I inhale cat breath and stare at the ceiling, “I am getting too old for this Shit (and as I say it, I can hear Detective Roger Murtaugh’s (Danny Glover’s) voice from Lethal Weapon).” For all of my healthy lifestyle choices that I have made, particularly over the last year and especially over the last couple of months, it seems that when a group of guys who knew each other as teenagers all gather for a night, the desire to live healthier gets kind of thrown out the window, so it is probably a good thing that I do only see all these guys every blue moon.

So, Sunday afternoon I spent my afternoon in an Energy Healing Seminar. I was the only guy and I am pretty sure I was the only one hungover (a room full of positive energy is almost as good as Gatorade in a case like this). This was one of the most interesting afternoons that I have ever had. I really didn’t know entirely what to expect, and I kind of only went because Amanda (my energy healer for those of you who don’t follow along) was going to BC for 3 weeks and I was hoping to find someone there to replace her while she was gone. You know, someone who could make my energy tingle in all the right places… for those of you with dirty minds, you are waaaay wrong in what you are thinking. As it turns out, I have the ability to move energy in people too. Either that or everyone there was trying to make me feel good because I could do something…now, even though I messed up everyone I tried to help (luckily Amanda was there to fix the problems I caused in the ladies), it seems that I have developed a new interest, so all I have to do is figure out how to harness this power so I can take over the world… or at least take over my world and keep Achmed on a short leash.

So NOW, I have a whole new level of ability when it comes to communicating with people and with Achmed… I just have to figure out exactly what language it is and how to speak it properly, but it seems that I may be on to something.

From Achmed and Me… Live Life!

No comments:

Post a Comment