Wednesday, June 2, 2010

Achmed’s First Birthday

Have you ever picked a day in a year and reflected on how much your life is different or the same 365 days later? A lot of people do that on New’s Year Eve, some on their birthday or an anniversary, some at Christmas or maybe Thanksgiving. All of these occasions are happy ones; at least I would think that is the case for most people. I think the real test of how far one has come, or how far they have fallen, is better measured in contrast. Two happy occasions don’t really tell you that much.

Today is June 2nd. It is exactly one year ago today that I received the worst news of my life and deep down wished it was someone else’s problem instead of mine. Now that I look back, in fact only a week later when I looked back, it was really not a very promising moment for me… thinking up a list of people I knew, who I felt actually deserved a brain tumour instead of me. We all face our demons in different ways, up until that point I think my way was to ignore the problem and hope it just goes away on its own. Sometimes it actually works… at least temporarily; you always end up having to deal with it at some point. If you let things build up too long, you will probably deal with it in the form or a heart attack.

As I have told hundreds of people in the last year, my worst news ever turned into my best gift ever. I used to be wound up like a clock and stressed about everything. In the last 3 years, between my marriage collapse, my tumor diagnosis and my just generally living a healthier lifestyle, my heart rate has dropped 20 beats a minute. That is probably good for ten years on the tail-end of things… assuming I don’t do something stupid.

In the last 12 months a lot has changed for me, both professionally and personally, all for the better. I believe a lot of it may have never happened if I had not been faced with the opportunity to more fully embrace my potential and stare down adversity. Although Achmed is hopefully dying and shrinking, he will always actually be there and will serve as a reminder to always enjoy life and live it to the fullest, just like the picture of him on my wall above my dresser, which I look at every morning while tying my tie.

June 2nd 2009 is a day I will never forget. I will never forget the doctor saying, “Well, you don’t have post concussion syndrome, it’s a tumour… blah, blah, blah…”

I will never forget the sun shining down on my face in the parking lot of the doctor’s office.

I will never forget sitting there for a half hour, completely immobilized because I had no idea what to do next.

I will never forget the feeling of hopelessness because everything was completely out of my control.

I will never forget walking into Starbuck’s and completely ignoring everyone around me who was saying hello, and I will never forget my sister’s reaction, “We have to kill him, like that Dead Terrorist guy, ‘I keelll you!’”

Most of all I will never forget that no matter how desperate things seem, there is always hope and there is always a reason to stay positive.

June 2nd, 2009 started off very much like today did. It was sunny and I was looking forward to getting out on my motorcycle after work. I never took that ride last year, but unless it is pouring rain this evening, I’ll be taking it this time!


From Achmed and Me… Live Life!

1 comment:

  1. Most prostate cancers are adenocarcinomas, cancers that arise in glandular cells of the prostate’s epithelial tissue. Prostate cancers usually progress slowly and produce no symptoms in the initial stages. Eventually, the tumor may enlarge like mine use too, the prostate gland, pressing on the urethra and causing painful or frequent urination and blood in the urine. So I was so uncomfortable with this prostate cancer diseases then I decided to do online search on how to cure cancer because I well have read a lot about herbal medicine, I came across a lot of testimony how Dr Itua cure HIV/herpes then Cancer was listed below the comment.with courage I contacted Dr Itua and he sent me his herbal medicine through Courier service then I was asked to pick it up at my post office which i quickly did. I contacted Dr Itua that i have received my herbal medicine so he instructs me on how to drink it for three weeks and that is how Dr Itua Herbal Medicine cure my prostate Cancer, The treatment takes three weeks and I was cured completely. Dr Itua is a god sent and I thank him every day of my life. Contact him now On:Email:drituaherbalcenter@gmail.com/ Whatsapp:+2348149277967.
    He listed to that he can as well cure the following diseases below.... Cerebral Amides. Lung Cancer, Alzheimer's disease,Autism,measles, tetanus, whooping cough, tuberculosis, polio and diphtheria Adrenocortical carcinoma. Alma, Uterine Cancer, Breast Cancer, Allergic diseases. Kidney cancer, Love Spell, Glaucoma., Cataracts,Macular degeneration,Cardiovascular disease,Lung disease.Enlarged prostate,Osteoporosis.Alzheimer's disease,Brain Tumor,
    Dementia.Colo rectal cancer, Lottery Spell, Bladder Cancer, Skin Cancer,Ovarian Cancer,Pancreatic Cancer, HIV /Aids,Brain Tumor, Herpes, Non-Hodgkin lymphoma, Inflammatory bowel disease, Copd, Diabetes, Hepatitis

    ReplyDelete